Monday, March 13, 2017

The Prodigal Son

This week in class we talked about the parable of the prodigal son, found in Luke 15.  I’ve always loved this parable, but something different has stood out to me the last couple times I’ve studied it.  The younger of a certain man’s two sons takes his portion of the inheritance and leaves home, wasting his substance in riotous living in a far land.  Before long he is absolutely broke - even the pigs he is tending are eating better than he is.  When the young man finally comes to himself, he realizes that even the hired servants in his father’s house have plenty to eat.  He devises a plan: “I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants” (Luke 15:18-19).

I can just imagine the prodigal son on the long road home, rehearsing his little speech.  I can imagine the weight he must have carried in his heart, knowing he has insulted and disgraced his father.  He knows he does not deserve his father’s mercy, but he knows that his father is a good man and hopes that there might be some place in his house for a repentant son-turned-servant.

I think most of us have probably felt like the prodigal son at some point in our lives.  I know what it feels like to carry the weight of knowing that I haven’t just made a mistake, I’ve willfully rebelled against my Father.  Sometimes we feel utterly unforgivable, no more worthy to be called a son or daughter of God.

That is why I love the father’s response so much:  “But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him” (Luke 15:21).  The son forgets even to plead for mercy, only expressing his feeling of unworthiness.  He must have been so surprised when his father gave him a new robe and shoes (which he probably needed badly), placed a ring on his hand, and threw him a party.

This is exactly how our Heavenly Father reacts when we repent and return to Him.  He doesn’t say to us, “You’re right, you are no longer worthy to be called my daughter.  I guess you can have a place in the kitchen or something, but you’ll have to earn your keep.”  Of course not!  He loves us so much and is longing for us to return to Him, like the father in the parable that saw his son while he was still far away and ran to him.  He showers us with love and blessings, far more than we could hope to deserve.  As Elder Holland once said, “Surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it.”

Repentance is not a punishment.  It is one of the greatest blessings that the Lord offers us.  When we repent and return to our Father with full purpose of heart, He forgives freely and blesses us generously.  We need never be afraid to approach Him with a broken heart and contrite spirit, no matter how far we have wandered and how much we have wasted.  He will always welcome us back with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment